Monday, April 4, 2011

A Brief Look at the Mora No. 2 and Mora No. 2/0

We are all familiar with the Mora #1, and in my knife reviews I have used it as a point of reference. There are however two variations on that design, the Mora #2 and the Mora #2/0. The two knives have the same form as the Mora #1, but differ in size.
















Mora #2
Specifications:
Knife Length: 8 3/8 inches (212 mm)
Blade Length: 4 1/8 inches (104 mm)
Blade Thickness: 3/32 inches (2.4 mm)
Blade Width: 13/16 inches (20 mm)
Blade Material: 1095 carbon steel (also available in laminated carbon steel)
Blade Hardness: HRC 59 on the Rockwell Scale (the laminated version has a core hardness of HRC 61)
Type of Tang: Partial concealed
Blade Grind: Scandinavian/single bevel
Handle Material: Birch
Sheath Material: Plastic
Cost: $12.00

Mora #1
Specifications:
Knife Length: 7 7/8 inches (198 mm)
Blade Length: 3 7/8 inches (98 mm)
Blade Thickness: 3/32 inches (2.4 mm)
Blade Width: 11/16 inches (17.5 mm)
Blade Material: 1095 carbon steel (also available in laminated carbon steel)
Blade Hardness: HRC 59 on the Rockwell Scale (the laminated version has a core hardness of HRC 61)
Type of Tang: Partial concealed
Blade Grind: Scandinavian/single bevel
Handle Material: Birch
Sheath Material: Plastic
Cost: $10.00

Mora #2/0
Specifications:
Knife Length: 6 5/8 inches (170 mm)
Blade Length: 3 inches (77 mm)
Blade Thickness: 3/32 inches (2.4 mm)
Blade Width: 5/8 inches (16 mm)
Blade Material: 1095 carbon steel (also available in laminated carbon steel)
Blade Hardness: HRC 59 on the Rockwell Scale
Type of Tang: Rattail tang
Blade Grind: Scandinavian/single bevel
Handle Material: Birch
Sheath Material: Plastic
Cost: $12.00

Here you can see the Mora #2, the Mora #1 and the Mora #2/0 next to each other. Note that the size difference is not just in the blade, but the handle as well.































The Mora #2/0 has an additional difference, in that it uses the old blade attachment method for the wood handle Mora knives. It has a rattail tang, which goes all the way to the back of the handle, where it is held with a friction fitting. The Mora #1 and Mora #2 used to have the same attachment method, but in the newer models they have switched to an epoxied partial tang.
















As far as feel and ease of use, I really like the Mora #2. I find the larger handle more comfortable, and the added blade length makes certain slicing cuts easier for me. That being said, the Mora #1 has a better overall feel for me, probably because I have been using it much longer. From a practical standpoint however, I find the Mora #2 more comfortable.

The Mora #2/0 is just too small. It makes for a nice neck knife because of its small size, but the handle is just tiny. I’m sure I can come up with certain uses for it, but there is no way it will become my general user.

I am very happy to see that the excellent Mora #1 design comes in different size variations, and wanted to show you the above comparison pictures. You can find the Mora 2 and Mora #2/0 here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us the various sizes. The Moras I've had most of my life must have been #1 but I do have a Mora by a different company that must be a #2 and I really do like the size but it is sadly stainless.

    I have a knife from Lee Valley that has an even smaller blade than the #2/0 but I got it for a carving knife, certainly too small for a general woods knife.

    ReplyDelete